It’s the holiday season, with family and friends gathering to celebrate and enjoy. For many it also comes with an unwelcome burden: Added stress on ourselves and our loved ones. That can take away from our enjoyment of what can be our fondest memories.
How can we manage our stress so our holidays are enjoyable and memorable? We asked Wendy Tamarit, Resident Experience Coordinator, to share her 7 tips on reducing stress around the holidays. It’s just another facet of MyWLife, Westminster’s exclusive program for well-being of mind, body and spirit, that all residents and team members can enjoy.
1. Be mindful about eating healthily. The holidays come with lots of special foods, which we should enjoy! It’s more important to eat healthy foods when you’re having a “regular” meal. The nutrition boost will also help you keep your energy up and help out your immune system.
2. Try to get the appropriate amount of sleep each night. Don’t go on less than you’re used to. Our events are more special when we’re well-rested.
3. Eat a healthy snack before a holiday party so you aren’t starving when you arrive. One tip is to eat an apple and have 8-10 ounces of water. The fiber in the apple and the water will help you feel sated when you arrive.
4. If you have an exercise routine, keep with it! That doesn’t mean you have to be working out 7 days a week. A simple walk, a trip to the gym, a yoga class or tennis with friends is not only good for your body — it’s great for stress management, too!
5. Make time to “be still.” With work and family, parties and shopping, it can seem like a never-ending rush! Carve out time where you can relax quietly, without a device, to you can recharge yourself and your holiday spirit.
6. Don’t overspend your resources. We all have limits. It’s tempting to get the perfect gift for everyone, no matter the cost, but it can add a lot of long-term stress to our finances.
7. Most of all, learn to say “no.” It’s OK not to host every function or to contribute to every party or bake sale.
To learn all about how you can enjoy living or working at a Westminster community, visit our website and find a community near you today!