If you’re an aspiring novelist looking for a challenge, this is your month! National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) began November 1 and offers the perfect opportunity to challenge yourself to complete a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. By taking part, you can gain valuable skills and join a thriving community of creatives. At Westminster Communities of Florida, we believe that lifelong learning and experimenting with new creative endeavors and skills is an invaluable part of a well-rounded lifestyle. Read on to learn more about how National Novel Writing Month came to be, its benefits and tips for getting started.
HOW IT STARTED
NaNoWriMo began in 1999 with 21 participants who completed their novels and created a new tradition. Since then, the event has grown exponentially, bringing together over 400,000 people internationally who collectively write their novels.
For many aspiring authors, the event provides an opportunity to test their creative skills, build confidence and contribute to a community of writers sharing experiences and providing support to others during the month-long process.
THE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING
NaNoWriMo gives you the chance to challenge yourself in ways that may not have been possible before. Push yourself outside of your comfort zone by trying new ideas, techniques, or genres as part of the project. If you set achievable goals, you’ll get the satisfaction of seeing what you’ve accomplished quickly – something that isn’t always easy when working on longer projects.
Additionally, many local communities host write-ins throughout the month where writers come together to encourage each other’s progress and share advice about their own writing process. If you’re looking for an exciting way to challenge yourself creatively this November – consider participating in NaNoWriMo!
TIPS FOR GETTING STARTED
Writing a novel in 30 days is an ambitious goal, but with the right preparation and tools it can be a manageable feat. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Set a Goal: Before you begin, decide how many words you would like to write each day and stick to it. Be realistic about what you think you can achieve which will help keep you motivated and on track.
- Create a Comfortable Writing Space: Find somewhere you can focus and have your materials easily accessible. This may be at home or in a public space. Make sure that your environment has minimal distractions allowing you to make the most of your time.
- Utilize Online Tools: There are plenty of resources available to help keep track of word count goals, organize ideas, take notes, brainstorm plots, research topics, stay focused and more! Utilizing these resources can greatly improve efficiency all month long.
- Connect With an Online Community: Connect with other NaNoWriMo participants. Join online forums and discussion boards to ask questions about any challenges you experience along the way, share successes and inspire others to keep going!
- Take Regular Breaks: Taking breaks from writing helps clear your mind so that when you return to work on your novel again, fresh ideas will come more easily.
Whether you’re a seasoned writer or a complete novice, National Novel Writing Month is a great opportunity to test your creative skills, build confidence and connect with a community of like-minded individuals. So what are you waiting for? Sign up today and start writing your novel!