After transitioning to a Jacksonville assisted living facility, you may be wondering how to spend your free time. Now that you do not have to do chores, grocery shopping, or mow your lawn. Westminster Woods on Julington Creek is a Jacksonville assisted living facility that strongly believes in lifelong learning. We partner with Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of North Florida to ensure there is always something new and exciting for you to learn.
Whether it is finding a new hobby like woodworking or learning about the history of the cold war, we have a class that will match your interests. Do not worry there are no tests and no grades! It is simply to help you seek intellectual, creative, skill-building, or social opportunities that you did not have time for previously.
Our partners have a variety of remote learning opportunities so you can participate from your Jacksonville assisted living facility or attend some hands-on classes in person. The classes are for lifelong learners aged 50 and better so you are likely to make new friends who have similar interests.
Here is a list of some upcoming courses that caught our eye:
- ED-venture Road Trip! Let’s Gallivant to Gainesville
- ED-venture: Cummer Museum Tour: Zanele Muholi: Somnyama Ngonyama, Hail the Dark Lioness
- ED-venture: Explore St. Augustine: Oldest House Museum Complex and the Casa Monica
- ED-venture: The Brumos Collection: Your Private Tour
- Art History, Music
- Three Generations of Wyeth Artists
- Weasels in Art History
- Contemporary Issues
- Hanna Park: History and Ecology
- Personal Cybersecurity
- Creative Arts, Games, Hobbies
- Beyond the Frame: American History through Art at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Explore the Art of Caricature
- Knit, Don’t Quit!
- Economics, Personal Finance, Law
- The $10 Founding Father: Alexander Hamilton from Revolution to Stage
- Give Bees a Chance: Bee Conservation in Your Backyard
- Film, Photography
- Film Noir: A Classic Genre
- Health, Wellness, Personal Development
- Disaster and Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults
- Journal to the Self: An Introduction
- History, Archeology
- The Battle for LaFiere Causeway: 82nd Airborne Division in Normandy
- Titanic: Fact, Myth, Legend, Catalyst
- Beginning French: Level III
- Intermediate French: Level III
- Literature, Writing
- American Beach for African Americans: Author Talk with Marsha Dean Phelts
- OLLI Book Club
This Lifelong Learning program is just one piece of our My W Life wellbeing program at our Jacksonville assisted living facility. We believe that for whole-person wellness you need nutritious dining options, wellness classes, and these lifelong learning opportunities to keep your mind and body active. Keeping active will help you stay as independent as possible for as long as possible. If you have questions about Westminster Woods on Julington Creek and our Lifelong Learning partnerships, visit our website here for more information. You can also contact us and schedule a tour.